Microwaves are present in more than 90 percent of American households, due to their capacity to both cook and reheat foods very fast. Thanks to its convenience, most people use this appliance without any doubt regarding its effects. However, the truth is that you need to reconsider your choice of using microwave, since it turns out that it can be one of the worst things you can use to cook your food in.
How do microwave ovens heat/cook out food
Microwave ovens cook or reheat foods by emitting microwaves, a type of electromagnetic radiation that runs on low energy end of the energy spectrum. The waves are generated by magnetron, which is found in every microwave oven.
Water must be present in the substance which is about to be heated in the microwave oven. If there isn’t any water, heating won`t occur and it would remain clear. The reason behind this is that water molecules in the food vibrate very fast, forming molecular friction that is responsible for heating the food. This process doesn’t resemble any other cooking method, given that other methods heat up food through transferring the heat from the outside inward.
The first microwave was designed during World War II by two scientists who used it to find Nazi warplanes on their mission to bomb the British Isles. A couple of years later Percy LeBaron Spencer of the Raytheon Company found out that microwave also cooks food. The Radar Range was the first microwave oven on the market, and was as heavy and large as a refrigerator.
How are microwave ovens dangerous
There are 2.45 billion hertz inside the microwave, which is okay as long as the microwave is new. However, as the seal on the door ages, it begins to leak. The frequency amount found to harm the body is 10 hertz. You need to be extremely cautious when operating the microwave, as you will not know that the body is being harmed by the leak until it becomes too late.
How does a microwave oven harm our bodies
1. Weakened immune system
2. Lowered resistance to viral and bacterial infections
3. Causes birth defects
5. Cataracts- due to our eyes lack of blood vessels to dissipate the cellular stress and heat from the microwave
6. More serious illnesses
What does the microwave oven do to our food
1. It breaks molecular and chemical bonds.
2. According to Hans Herte`s study, a Swiss scientist, microwaving foods depletes the food of its essential nutrients. “There are no atoms, molecules or cells of any organic system able to withstand such a violent, destructive power for any extended period of time, not even in the low energy range of milliwatts… This is how microwave cooking heat is generated – friction from this violence in water molecules. Structures of molecules are torn apart, molecules are forcefully deformed (called structural isomerism) and thus become impaired in quality,” he noted.
3. The radiation from microwave destroys and deforms food`s the molecules, which in turn creates dangerous radioactive compounds.
4. Microwaving infants formulas alters the structure of the formula, turning the components into amino acids and creating immunological abnormalities.
5. Microwaved breast milk loses 96 percent of its antibodies
6. A 1992 study from the Search for Health has studied the effects of participants who consumed microwaved veggies. They experienced:
-Rapidly increasing cholesterol levels
-Decrease in hemoglobin causing an anemic like conditions
-Decrease in white blood cells
-Increase in leukocyte (indicating poisoning and cell damage)
Even if the microwave is well sealed, you are still exposed to detrimental levels of electromagnetic fields that can penetrate the human body and cause serious health issues. So, as much convenient microwave ovens are, after taking into consideration the loss of nutrients they cause and the detrimental effect they have on our health, their convenience is definitely not worth the while.